Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's the Glass Pumpkin, Pinky Street!

Ok, sorry, there's no Charlie Brown to be found in these photos, I just wanted a cute title... ^^;

These photos were taken a few weeks ago now, but I wanted to make sure I got them posted before Halloween came and went! (I'm cutting it pretty close... XD)

For a bit of background info - every year, MIT's glass lab holds a glass pumpkin sale to raise money for their program. Years ago, when I first came to Boston, this was a low key event taking place over two days. They would set up the pumpkins in the field, like it was a pumpkin patch, and people could wander through and pick out their pumpkins. Every year, however, it seems to get more and more popular, and now, even tho they try to keep it cute and nice, it's pretty much madness. Basically all the pumpkins get snatched up in a half hour!!

Various people have various strategies to get a good pumpkin, but the best one is just to get there early. So here's "new rei" surveying the scene an hour before the sale starts:

-- from esmereldes - (?)

Ohara hecking out the field before we line up:
-- from esmereldes - (?)

Nowadays they hand out tickets so that they don't have people in line for hours and hours, but here's what it looked like from my spot in the line once we all lined up:
-- from esmereldes - (?)

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ohara: "Hey! How did I get trapped in this box thing! Let me out! I need to get a pumpkin!!"

Luckily for pumpkin fans, they do a 'preview night' the day before the sale so you can at least go and appreciate all the beautiful pumpkins.

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ako: "Whee! We're here! Let's go into the tent and take tons of pictures!!"

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ako: "Hey, this one is pretty!"

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ako: "But then, so are these..."

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Moe: "oooooh...... shiiiiiiiiny...." :pdazed:

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Mikimiki: "So many pumpkins to see..."

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Mikimiki: "Oh for heaven's sake, I don't want to be in these pictures! Just photograph the pumpkins!"

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ako: "Hey, Lookit! There's a really pumpkin over here!"

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Ako: "Whoa....! It's huge! We could eat pumpkin pie for *years*!!

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Mikimiki: "I think I found the best one!"
(This was my favorite. I couldn't get it tho...)

-- from esmereldes - (?)
Moe: "Hey! Where did everyone go??"
(poor confused little Moe-chan... )

And, in case you are wondering, I did wind up buying a pumpkin! Here it is with one of my momokos:
-- from esmereldes - (?)
She's not excited about it - she thinks I should've bought her new clothes instead!

(I've been to this event a number of times, but I don't always buy a pumpkin, and even when I do, I don't always keep it. I have a blue one already, I'm not sure if I will keep this one or not)

If you'd like to see more pumpkins, you can check here.

No comments: