Friday, January 07, 2011

Post-Christmas Wrapup and 2011 Restock (so far)

Hi everyone! Did you all have a nice holiday season? As you can see by my lack of posting through the entirity of December, mine kept me pretty busy... (of course, not posting for a month is actually not that shocking for me even when there isn't a holiday involved, but shhh... ;P) Aside from work, some more work, and some more work after that, I kept busy making cookies, looking at the holiday window displays in NYC, and being generally Christmasy. Since this is nominally a website about Pinkys, let's start off with a couple of pictures of my Pinkys visiting NY. (and then we'll go on with the shopping photos, since I know that's really why people read this blog!)

Here's Avril skating at Rockefeller Centre...
Avril Goes Skating at Rockefeller Plaza
...I actually did this as a kid, tho I don't remember it very well. I think I mostly remember it being very crowded, and I wasn't such a good skater - and I'm still not! XD

Mirriam, meanwhile, wanted to look at all the big stores in Times Square...
Times Square
I think she looks a bit hypnotized by the lights tho - well, it's easy for that to happen... ;)

This poor girl just looks a bit overwhelmed by the city overall - it can definitely be hard to take it all in until you start getting used to where things are!
"oooooooh...."

She needs a name, btw. Avril has always been Avril, and Mirriam picked up her name along with a sibling (Pepe) way back when. But this girl, despite being one of my favorite new releases, has stayed stubbornly nameless. And worse yet, she didn't even come with a name! So... any ideas?

I actually have very few shopping photos from NY - most of the time I spent in NY I was just outside of the stores looking at the window displays. I've been spamming flickr with them for weeks now, but if you stumble across this post later and want to catch up, you can see that set here. It's a big set, and if you go far enough back you'll see last year's photos, but they do awesome work on these windows, so I think it's worth checking out! ;) (and if you are reading this as I publish it, check back in a few days, I have to do the Bergdorf Goodman photos yet and they are my favorites! So cool!)

Ok, so NOW on to the shopping photos! XD

I don't keep up with Barbie news, so mostly I just stumble across new Barbie stuff in the stores. So I was really pleased to see more Barbie Basics accessory sets. I actually have only bought one of these sets because I think Barbie's shoes are actually slightly too tiny for Obitsu'd pullips and my dals don't need to wear such high heels. But I like the idea. The latest sets come with a shirt. I am not sure of the logic of one shirt and 6 pairs of shoes, but whatever, at least they are all nice items! They color coordinate. So first is the gold dressy outfit set:
IMG_4542

Next up is a more edgy black and neon set:
IMG_4543

The third of the girls' sets is this nice black and silver set. I think it is my favorite of the lot...
IMG_4544

But yes, that's right, I did say of the *girls' sets*. Which means there is a boys' set! This is really exciting, because Ken wears the worst clothes in the universe, and there are not enough other outfits out there. So when I saw this Ken set I had to immediately buy it!
IMG_4566
Or, rather, I should say I *tried* to buy it. For whatever reason, Target started stocking up all the new toys without the prices being in the system. So when I took it to the register they couldn't ring it up. Since I was in a hurry and the store was really busy, I just told the clerk I'd come back another time. I went back to another store several days later figuring they'd've straightened this glitch out, but nope! I told them what price I thought it should be ($14.99) but by the time the supervisor came over and lalala, somehow they wound up deciding to charge me only $5.99! Score! So now even if all the shoes don't fit (and I'll update on that later) I won't feel bad.

Looking at the back of the box, you can see the new Basics Ken, who is apparently taking his style tips from a whole different set of magazines than regular Ken. XD
IMG_4569
He has two friends, as you can see by the Barbie Basics Collection 2.0 page on the Barbie Collectors website.

I guess the them for Collection 2.0 is jeans. Aside from being more of a jeans sort of girl than a 'little black dress' sort of girl, from what few dolls of the new collection I saw in stores this is a nice collection - the jeans looked really nicely made. I didn't buy any of the dolls to see up close, but I may have to! I have liked a lot of the Barbie Basics dolls' faces, but I haven't felt like paying money for them, since I only sort of 'incidentally' collect Barbies. But since these have the perk of coming with those nice jeans... well, maybe!

Here are some of the "jeans dolls" that I saw on my shopping trips:
IMG_4565

IMG_4556

By my third Target run they had neatened up the display, but half the dolls were gone! I have been shopping mostly at the Target in Watertown since coming back from Christmas because they always seem to get the new toys first, but if I have some time this weekend, I'll be scoping out the other two Somerville area stores. (I *was* going to be taking another trip to NY to see a cool exhibit on Japanese fashion at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NY this weekend, but nooooooo.... instead I'm hanging out at home with my laptop thanks to winter weather. Oh well, that's the way it goes!)

Er, speaking of Japanese fashion, I also got to see in person the new "Japan" Barbie and Ken. Somewhere or other I did see preview photos for these. They are pretty cool!
IMG_4551
I actually forget what the price was (if it was even on there), but I might have to pick up at least the Barbie - that outfit is pretty nice!

I also saw this "Happy Birthday Ken" Barbie:
IMG_4552
Can you believe Ken is 50? I can't! Do you suppose he will join AARP?

My only other Ken sighting was this Fashionista guy, but I saw him before Christmas, and I don't think he's so new. Still, I do think he's at least a little bit more of a normal guy than a lot of Ken releases!
IMG_4531

I saw one other Collector-level Barbie at TRU also, this Beverly Hillbillies Barbie.
IMG_4530
I don't know that I've ever even watched the show, so I'm not excited for the character or anything, but I do like the hairstyle on this doll!

It looks like they are also doing a few other TV characters - Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie, and Krystle and Alexis from Dynasty. I guess I could be nostalgic for Jeannie since I did watch that show (in reruns?) as a kid, but I don't much care for that outfit now. Dynasty I think I was just too young for and have no nostalgia for at all. Krystle is kinda neat tho...

As I was saying earlier, I don't really look for Barbie news, so I am scanning this "what's new" page for the first time as I type this and I am interested to note that there is a "steampunk barbie". I guess steampunk really did finally hit the big time if there's a barbie sporting that style - even if she is a $100 collector's doll that hardly anyone is likely to ever see. I don't actually think she is very steampunk looking myself (except for the goggles, I suppose), but she's kinda cool...

As far as 'regular' playline Barbies, I was much less impressed. Not too much new stuff so far, but there were a couple of outfit sets. Which are laaaame. They seem to feature uniforms. I think I didn't even take pictures of everything I saw, but there was a repeat of the flight attendant uniform in another color, and stuff like that. What annoys me is that they are not complete outfits.
IMG_4555
Look carefully and you see that some of the pieces are just cardboard! Boo!!

I think there's new furniture too, but it's pretty similar to the previous furniture sets so I wouldn't swear to it, and it's kind of ugly so I have no incentive to care.
IMG_4582

I'm not usually one for Princess stuff, but the new Princess dolls were sort of the only thing I liked...
IMG_4583
Maybe it's just the teasets that the dolls come with. I can never resist a cute teacup or teapot!

There were more of these, but I was running out of memory card space and attention span, so that's it for now.

I have more pictures of Liv and Moxie and Lalaloopsy, but I'll do those tomorrow. I've been very wordy here for some reason and this is enough for one day!

No comments: