Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blind Boxes

Ok, well this set of photos doesn't really *need* it's own post, but I'm on a roll at the moment, so what the heck.

Last wednesday, local record/comic/toy store Newbury Comics was having a 33rd anniversary sale. 25% off of everything. It wasn't a good day for me to get over to any of their stores, but I couldn't pass up a sale at Newbury Comics. In addition to being one of the few record stores (and they DO actually sell records) standing, they have a lot of great blind box toys. I don't buy so many CDs (or records) since I quit my radio show, but I figured I could pick up one or two, and then a couple of blind box toys. Those rarely go on sale, so that was what was driving me more than the music! (While I was thinking about this post, it hit me that Newbury Comics is actually somewhat similar to Hot Topic, if you are not from this area, but do know Hot Topic. The main difference being that Hot Topic has more clothes, and Newbury Comics has more music. They probably cater to somewhat the same audience, but shopping in Newbury Comics does not leave me with quite the same impression that the clerks and other shoppers are laughing at me behind my back...)

I had to shop fast 'cause I didn't really even have time to be there. This is what I picked up, along with a few cds. (and the Easter lala and Fluttershy, which don't reall belong there since they were from Target, but I guess at the time I was thinking of doing an overall picture of new purchases. But both of those ended up getting discussed in my last post...)

Recent shopping!

At one point Newbury Comics had pullips. I wish they still did, that would've been a great thing to get on sale! I also wish I had had time to go to one of the other locations, the Harvard Square store tends to get a lot of traffic and doesn't always have as much in stock as some of the other stores...

The Filly Princess toys were pretty cheap, esp. on sale, so I might've bought more than 2 if they'd had more than 2. Still, 2 is probably enough...

IMG_5397

I've seen these on flickr, but I'm not sure what they are for. Or from. They look like they might go with a game or something? Whatever the case, the geeky horse-loving little kid I used to be enjoyed the little graph of who was related to who on the insert.

IMG_5400

These are the two I got...

IMG_5396

Judging by the character names on the back of the package, the splotchy dappled one is Dutchess Romantica, but I can't figure out which one the other one is supposed to be. Oddly, I think that other one is the one I saw on flickr, but I can't find that picture either...

IMG_5398

They each came with stickers, which were sadly a bit battered since the package is just foil, rather than a box.

IMG_5394

IMG_5395

Next up is the Android robot blind box. Here's the box:

mosaic29f76da4fcb7cf3cbedaac4702f5825693776e4c

And here's what the foil looks like:

IMG_5392

(yeah, that's probably super-fascinating. But I always feel bad throwing out packaging, since they put so much work into designing it. But I just can't keep all that stuff in my room! So I started taking pictures. And then I figured why not post them. It IS cute...?)

The actual robot in this box is going to remain a surprise, because I have photo ideas for it I haven't gotten around to yet. So it will make it's official 'debut' later. But this is a second robot, so here's my picture of the first robot...

Sad Robot: "It's spring. Why is there snow? Where are the flowers?"

They are pretty adorable for mascot toys for a cell phone. (Google's Android phone) This is series 02, but judging by the photos I found of series 01, I like it better than the first one. These cost $8 (or $9?) at Newbury Comics, but seem to cost a great deal more at Amazon. Maybe they are actually a little bit hard to find even, so beware of high pricing...

I'm sure 2 of these was plenty, but the problem with these blind box guys is it's so easy to start itching to have the whole set. I'm not going to tho! No! Bad!

The last blind box toy here is the 'Tea' one. I love tea, so this was definitely a must! I had seen these on line too, but had not seen them in Newbury Comics despite being there just the day before. So I lucked out! So far I feel content with just one, since they have pretty basic paint jobs, but even still, I have that minor pull of wanting more... *sigh*

The package is pretty cute on its own:

mosaicc338870dac1f9734943647034a4e4441beaab7c2

I esp. love that illustration!

IMG_5391

This is the one I got:

I <3 Tea: Black Tea

Black tea is pretty appropriate for me, I never go in for herbal, and I do still prefer black tea to green tea, on the whole. Tho green tea is good too!

My favorite part about it is how they made the blind box catalog look like a tea bag!

IMG_5390

If you check the website on the box, you can some cool customized versions of this series. I really like the "collector's edition" of this series - I wonder if I can find those decently-priced around here somewhere?

No comments: