Friday, April 08, 2011

Fashion Doll Odds & Ends

It's been a while since I last posted anything, again. I haven't seen *too* many new things in stores. A few things for Easter, of course, but I must admit the Easter stuff seems kind of boring this year? Some years there are all kinds of sheep and bunnies to want but this year I'm feeling pretty ho hum about it. I'll post up some Easter pictures in my next post. Right now I'm thinking I'll just start with some of the scattered new fashion doll items that I've seen. I have the sense that sometime in the spring there should've been a clearance at Target, but I never saw one. (unless it's still to come?) In fact, my big problem with shopping this year is that stuff sells out before I make up my mind to buy it! I know that's good for the stores, and they've all been "controlling inventory" to make this happen, but it sucks for me. Alas. I have a few "wishlist" items I've been looking for, and I think I'm just too late with them. (Anyone have a spare Lalaloopsy Spots Splatter Splash? Anyone? I was also going to ask for a Twilight Alice, but I just found her in between the first draft of writing this and finishing it now!)

Anyhow, on to the pictures...

There's 5 new Liv dolls that I've seen come out in the past couple of weeks. Apparently these were shown at Toy Fair, but I didn't get in to see them. So they were new to me. They have a "dance" theme again, but unlike the prom dresses from the last round, this round seems to be like an 80s restyle or something. Is breakdancing back in? I totally expect to see these girls out on a piece of cardboard or something.

IMG_4827

IMG_4828

I quite like her wig. Tho... is it me, or does the way its parted in the first picture make it seem like a different wig? Because I'm not sure this wig would do that?

IMG_4829

Hayden seems kind of 70s folk rock here, but I think it's just the headband. On the Liv website she isn't wearing it and fits in with all the other girls...

IMG_4830

IMG_4831

Some of the Liv outfits I wasn't able to find have been coming back in stock too, which is nice. I was finally able to get the raincoat I wanted. I was sure that one was going to wind up on my "too late!" wishlist too.

Beyond that, if there's anything new with Liv, I haven't seen it yet.

Moving on to Barbe, I've seen a number of new things. Some of them are almost definitely things that were out before that I just hadn't managed to catch in stores, and some of them might actually be brand new, I'm not sure.

In the former camp (probably not new, but I've never seen them), I spotted a bunch of Barbie "I can be" profession dolls. I remember hearing about these last year even, but if they were ever out, I never saw them. Which I am suspecting of being the case if only because they were gone again pretty fast after I saw them.

The one I remember getting all the press was the "geek" Barbie - the computer engineer. I was kind of excited to see her in person and was considering buying her, but... you know, in the end, I didn't think she was that great. The outfit was just weird. Still, it's nice to see Ms. "I hate math" Barbie representing this particular career choice.

IMG_4725

IMG_4726

The glasses are interesting, but they make me think more of Devo than computer engineers. I think she is wearing a bluetooth headset too. I guess they just decided to give her as many tech devices as they can think of. In which case they probably should've given her a pink iPad instead of a laptop, but oh well.

There was also Barbie as a news anchor. The box proudly proclaims that girls voted for this, which really makes me wonder what girls were thinking... o.O I thought no one watched the news anymore. Does Katie Couric really have that many fans? Why not forensic scientist? I feel like all there is on tv anymore is NCIS and its ilk. But maybe parents are actually not letting their kids watch that. Which would be a good idea, even if I do think it would be great to see lots of kids wanting to go into that field when they grew up...

IMG_4723

IMG_4724

Lastly, I saw a Chef. That's not surprising at all, given that if you don't turn the tv on and find a crime show, you will definitely find a cooking show. More kid friendly too I'd suppose. And I'm not really opposed to kids knowing how to cook. I feel like a lot of people my age managed not to learn... (which might explain the celebrity chef thing?) I actually kind of like the outfit on Barbie as a chef. It's probably the cutest of the three. Tho I do like that news camera!

IMG_4727

There are more of these, I know, but that was all I saw that seemed new - or at least new to me.

Other stuff I didn't recall running across before included this "Happy Birthday" Barbie...

IMG_4728

I dont really like the ball gowns for my dolls, but that dress IS cute!

IMG_4751

Jessie from Toy Story Barbie (I know I saw pictures of this from the UK, but I don't know if maybe it's just now getting to be released in the States? Something is odd about that, but I'm not sure what the story is...)

IMG_4792

And then lastly, this pink-haired fairy Barbie. She's a Toys R Us exclusive, so even if she's not brand new, that's probably why I didn't spot her until now. She's actually pretty cute...

The most tempting thing I've seen, however, is this Renaissance Faire Barbie. I mean, I don't necessarily have any need for the outfit, but I am just happy knowing that there IS a Ren Faire Barbie. XD

IMG_4720

IMG_4721

I also found a stash of Twilight's Jane, who I had heard was quite rare. Seeing her pictures I was pretty sure I was going to want her, but then when I saw her in person I started feeling like she wasn't worth the price. The coat is a really cool cut, but it seems to be made from relatively cheap fabric.

IMG_4750

And I suspect she is not wearing anything underneath. So if I were going to buy her to rob her for her clothes, I feel like I could do better for my $20. The boots aren't bad tho, really.

IMG_4754

She has an interesting face, but I am not sure I actually like it.

IMG_4752

IMG_4753

So Alice was definitely the best of the lot for me and I'm really kicking myself for not buying her when she was everywhere. It's the same as the second Hello Kitty Barbie. She was everywhere and I kept dragging my feet and I missed her. Sigh. I'm trying to 'learn my lesson' and buy stuff faster, but then at the same time I have TOO. MUCH. STUFF. So I try not to jump and buy everything in case I could really live without it. (I'm like flypaper - once I buy stuff, it sticks with me. There's little chance I'll actually return stuff or resell it, even if I tell myself I will...)

My last round of Barbie line pictures is a few new Ken items. None of them really float my boat, but I'll at least grant that they are somewhat less noxious than other Ken releases have been.

New clothing packs:

IMG_4788

IMG_4789

IMG_4790

More tuxedos. Ken's only real purpose being to marry Barbie in each of her different outfits, I guess. (and go to the beach. >.>)

IMG_4722

But here's Ken looking "cool", I guess. It's just sad.

Most of these photos are from TRU, but I also wanted to note that Target has the Barbie Basics stuff on sale this week (so maybe only until tomorrow - sorry for the short notice!). That would be great if any of the Targets near me had a decent selection of these dolls. Oh well. Even at $17 instead of $21 I'm having trouble committing to buying them...) The LPS Blythe with scooter has also been on sale. I'm somehow still not tempted to buy it...

I've also been seeing a ton of new Monster High stuff. Not really new dolls (tho they are finally more reliably in stock. I've even seen a few Ghoulias stick at the store for more than a blink) but just lots of *stuff*. TRU, and even Target, has at least a few purses and wallets and things. Even Claire's had a bunch of stuff like that. Socks and lip gloss wallets. Doesn't send me running for my wallet, but I know there a bunch of folks out there who are much more interested in Monster High that might like some of this stuff.

IMG_4793

IMG_4794

IMG_4791

(These aren't fashion dolls OR Monster High dolls, but they remind me a little of them, and they're cute, so I'm going to shoehorn in this picture of these cute dolls I saw on clearance at TRU. I don't know anything about them, but they are fun and quirky!)

IMG_4718

And as a final "fashion doll" add on, I'll post up this picture of some spare outfit for the Disney fairy dolls. I think this is a TRU only thing so far. I actually am really happy that they are doing extra outfits for these dolls (even if they are all, I suppose necessarily, fairy clothing with wings...), and I kind of wanted to snag some for Halloween costumes for my pullips, just because I really find the Disney Fairy dolls strangely cute, but when I went back again they were gone again. I don't like this trend of stuff going out of stock so fast! I ended up with waaaay too much Sanrio stuff, because with that you know if you don't jump on it, it will disappear. Which was fine when Sanrio first sort of came back into my area and there wasn't much of it. But now there's SO much Sanrio stuff, I want to be fussier. Ditto for the toys. But... it's hard to be fussy if you suspect it's all going to disappear immediately!

3 comments:

dementedchris said...

Thanks for sharing these photos! I like Barbie's chef costume; I think my girls will 'use' it often! -dementedchris

aimee said...

The Liv Dolls are cracking me up. They remind me of Tuesday Taylor: http://www.genxtinct.com/2010/08/tiffany-and-tuesday-taylor.html

i kind of really lust after her penthouse.

Why didn't Jem ever have this feature? if ANY doll needed it, it would have been her.

aimee said...

OH!
Those other dolls are from Lauren Faust's (the woman responsible for the MLP cartoon) other Project http://milkywayandthegalaxygirls.com/