I've been on a quest to find myself a Spots, which I don't think is going to happen at this point, but I keep looking. So I've been seeing a lot of the Lalaloopsy aisle at various stores. I still have not seen even one Patch Treasurechest, but I have seen the 'twins' in their new single-doll packaging. I guess this is good, it was pretty expensive to try to buy them both together, but a little bit I think it's a shame to "split them up".
That said, I tend to think if I ever bought one of them it would be Berry. I just like her outfit a lot better... Well, that's not entirely true. The overalls on Sunny are actually really cute, it's just that the dresses are easier to share with other types of dolls, I think, so it might be better to get Berry. I probably won't though, simply because I don't want all of the big lalas, so I'm trying to concentrate on getting the ones that are most different from each other. Berry looks a bit like Crumbs, since they both have pink hair. Plus, how can I not want a doll that makes pancakes? XD
As you can see on the packaging, I guess the twins are Toys R Us exclusives. I'd say that makes sense, since I don't ever see them at Target, but I see hardly any of these at Target. It is rare for them to have more than 1 or 2 dolls there at a time...
I always love the back of the box illustrations - they are so cute! Lucky whoever gets to set these pictures up too, I bet that's really fun!
Here's Sunny too. I do find her orange hair and little chick pet quite adorable!
It looks like Sunny is billed as an early riser tho, so maybe she's not the doll for me... ;P
The closest I've been able to get to Patch is the little picture on the back of the box. Ah well!
I always love the handle designs. I wish I could do some sort of crafty thing with them...
The other Lala news is, of course, the mini Easter Lala that is a Target exclusive. Pictures of these have been floating around flickr, but in case you haven't seen her:
(I really should've taken a better photo...)
The little origin stories they give them are so cute and funny!
These are a bit hard to locate in the store, but I was able to pick up one for me and a friend. (I will do out of box photos soon). The only problem is that all of the ones I saw had some paint imperfections...
They aren't super-obvious in the photo, but then again they are probably even less obvious in person, unless you have your nose right up to it. The biggest problem is that they ended up with circles around their eyes. Which is sort of funny in a character wearing pjs, actually... XD
I also did finally take my Blossom out of her box. She's been hanging out on my floor in her box for over a month now I think... ^^; I tried to do a nice springlike photo for her tho!
In addition to the Lalas, for whatever reason I took photos of just about all of the MLP stuff that they had in stock... I think it started because I noticed a whole bunch of stuff that made me laugh, and then just went on from there.
The most interesting thing to me is the 'hot air balloon'.
It lights up and plays music. It's probably about the most ridiculous thing ever, so of course I kind of want it... XD I don't think I can fit something like this into my room tho honestly.
This is also pretty ridiculous, and therefore awesome:
It seems to be basically a remote control car. But you can tell it's for girls 'cause it's pink and has rainbows and PONIES. sigh.
(But I do love that they gave Dash an aviator's scarf. Now if only she had goggles...
This one sort of boggles my mind:
It's a... horse-drawn carriage for a horse? How does that work exactly?
The ponies seem to like carts this year...
But I guess if you are going to give horses accessories, I like that they are things a horse might actually have, rather than the tennis rackets and stuff they were giving them a year or two ago. (how could a horse play tennis? I mean, come on!)
This is not as cute as re-ment, but still pretty cute...
I think I had a photo of that one up before, but oh well. You can admire Fluttershy's out of control hair... XD
Even tho they aren't *all* that horse-like, I like the faces on the smaller size ponies out now a lot better than I like the faces of the slightly bigger ponies that are also out now...
Finally, some sort of giant gift set that I don't recall seeing before...
I ended up buying a Fluttershy, because I think she's my favorite of this lot.
The illustrations on the box are so cute!
Even the illustration on the inside is kind of neat, even though it's difficult to see when the pony is in the box...
Because of the joy of unlimited space when working with a digital camera and a free blogging host (well, flickr hosts the pictures and it's not free, but since I pay for it anyway...) I took photos of the whole catalog insert...
I don't think I've seen any of these light up ponies...
Don't think I've seen the fashion ponies yet either...
I rather like Princess Celestia and her crazy stylized look. I may have to get her eventually too... (And NO! I am NOT going to start collecting MLPs! I'm not!)
Newborn Sweetie Belle kind of scares me. I'll leave her for the little kids...
Then just for random amusing contrast some other 'horse' toys:
Cinderella has a nicer carriage, but she doesn't let the horses ride in it with her...
And then this giant horse is a taxi for a bunch of tiny animals - including what may be a tiny horse? Ah, toys can be so confusing!! ;P
5 comments:
I got that gift set for Christmas. I love it.
Basically, what you are seeing is that there are still holdovers from the "Old Regime" of My Little Pony Land (the baby-er looking ponies with the larger heads and the far more nonsensical accessories) and marketing assholes who did not give a SHIT about the integrity of the brand, just what 3-6 year olds wanted "right this second" (and no, I am not kidding. I went on the Hasbro tour back in 2007 in conjunction with the 1st MLP convention in Providence we had a group discussion with the MLP team and they were totally cutthroat assholes covered in sprinkles and cotton candy. They did not appreciate the idea that My Little Pony could be generation spanning like Barbie now that all the kids who grew up playing with them might want to share them with their children. Not to mention they were dismissive and douchey because we were adults who were into toys. They didn't even have favorites from the original line, really. They named names, but really didn't have a connection with their childhood.)
The have since turned over brand stewardship over to Lauren Faust. Who is clearly a big old dork, still has her childhood collection, and gives a shit. Still, my little ponies will always have somewhat nonsensical accessories. It just goes with the territory since day one (really, did they need a ballet school in the 80's??)
Interesting! I had no idea about any of that. It's a shame the hasbro folks were so lame, but it's good someone better has taken over now at least. Judging by the fact that that fluttershy is the first pony I've bought since the originals, I'd say she's probably meeting with success at connecting to the originals... And I don't really mind the absurd accessories, I just have to laugh at them - esp. the carriage. The tennis rackets tho, I dunno, they irked me somehow. I think it was because they elasticked them to the ponies' knees. If they'd had them in their mouths I probably would've figured that was fair...
"The tennis rackets tho, I dunno, they irked me somehow. I think it was because they elasticked them to the ponies' knees."
EXACTLY. That is the point they cease to be "ponies (and I do use that loosely, they'd be horrifying monstrosities in real life and at real size/proportions)" and because grotesquely deformed humans.
"a horse-drawn carriage for horses..."
That is pretty funny! Perhaps the ponies have not yet been apprised of the Emancipation Proclamation.
Post a Comment